Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day with my Mama

Today I went to Clyde to spend time with Mama for Mother's Day. I decided it was time she taught me to make her delicious strawberry freezer jam. My day started at McConnell's Farm off Dana Road - just look at the pictures of their beautiful strawberries:



Got to Mama's house about 10:15 and she had a wonderful breakfast for me. It was so good and it was served in THE BOWL! The bowl is so old and so protected! I remember Daddy always got it and sometimes Mama .... but very rarely did me or Angie get it. Needless to say, my day already seemed extra special ...



Okay so after I ate it was time to get started on the jam, see the measuring cup in my hand? Mama said it belonged to her mother and that it was as old as she is ... I thought that was cool ... they're both over 60 and still shining! :)



Making the jelly was a lot easier than I thought. We made 4 runs - 24 jars. Can't wait to taste 'em. Here are the first three of my 24 pretty jelly jars:



After we were through making jelly, we decided to do a little bird watching ~



The birds were really pretty ... until Daddy scared them ... and me ... by shooting at water snakes in the backyard pond. KA-POW! Scared me to death!



(LOL - after cropping this picture, I realize it kind of looks like he is shooting at the birdhouse ... it's all about perspective ... I assure you his gun is pointed at the water!)

Watching the birds eat must have made us hungry, we went to Shoney's for a burger and on the drive back Daddy showed me the Lake Junaluska Dam ... it was really cool and pretty, but I didn't have my camera. That's okay when I left I went back by it ...



I also stopped to get this picture of the beautiful roadside wildflowers ~


And that was my day with my mama! I love you, Mama! Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like fun!

Angie said...

WOW! You actually got to eat out of THE bowl!?! I am so jealous! I always knew you were the favorite--haha!! I can taste the cheerios right now. Mom has always made the BEST bowl of Cheerios--they always taste different than when I pour them! It looks like a great day! And I am sure it was Mom's best Mother's Day EVER!! Daddy does look a little scary with that shot gun! But if it's snakes--more power to him!! Glad you all had a great time!