Monday, October 27, 2008

What a weekend!

Let's start back with Friday night. Thank you for the comments posted here and also for those emailed. I must say that as soon as I had finished writing it and went back to read it, the situation hit me smack in the face and reality set in. I still believe I did the right thing but the reality of it is that if either of the girls had called me and told me they were in the same situation I would have done the same thing Frank did, told them to get in the car and leave because it could be dangerous. I probably wouldn't have called it stupid but I would have told them to call 911 from their car and then leave. Actually, I would have probably jumped in my car and gone to them! What I am trying to say is when I put myself in Frank's shoes and Amanda or Amy in mine - I now understand why he thought I should leave.

Saturday - whew, that was a long day! The day turned out perfect! The weather cleared nicely and we ended up with a rain free wedding, lots of great pictures, many new friends, and a happily ever after. I will probably post one or two pics but don't want to show you all the pics before the bride and groom get to see them. Some need quite a bit of editing, some are perfect as they are so it may take a little bit to get some up. Here's ONE of the wedding party, just so you can see how pretty they all looked.



Sunday - another really long day, but so worth it. When I got to the Civic Center at 2:45 the line to see Sarah Palin was already all the way down the side of the building next to the interstate, all the way back around to the street 2 blocks from the front door. By the time I found parking, took a few outside pictures, and decided to get in line, it was all the way backed up the library. It was weird because the people in front of the library were facing away from the front door. Another line had started from the front door and back down to the library. As I wondered up to the front of the building I saw all the protesters. Some were really grungy looking. Some were holding signs full of hateful words and some were holding signs saying stop the hating. The were contradicting each other, as I am sure is the case with most political rally protesters, republican and democrat. The police were there and kept everything under control.

Once inside (about 5:40 pm) I found my seat in the balcony section straight in front of the stage and then the next waiting game began. Sarah was slated to speak at 7:00 pm and then it was announced that her plane would be landing at 7:30. Wow, the night just got longer. I think she must of landed a bit sooner though because Gretchen Wilson was traveling with her and she started to sing about 8:00. She sang three songs and then Sarah Palin was announced.

The crowd was crazy loud, waving banners and flapping thundersticks as she made her entrance. Her speech was great and very "on point." She said the New York Times had reported that Obama's acceptance speech was already written (I saw it on AOL this morning, too.) She responded with, “Barack Obama and I both have spent quite some time on the basketball court,” Palin said. “But where I come from, you have to win the game before you start cutting down the nets.”

The loudest and longest cheers of the night came when Palin proclaimed that she and McCain believed in the sanctity of life and that EVERYONE had a right to live. The sound of the cheers made me proud to be among this crowd of believers. It was obvious on two occasions, this one and during the Nathan Ramsey speech, that morals and Christian beliefs were playing a very large role in our decision to vote for McCain & Palin.

Sarah spoke until about 8:45 and then shook hands and signed autographs until about 9:15. She was very good with all the people in the crowd. There was a group of Special Olympics folks gathered in one area and she spent a lot of time there, hugging and smiling and touching. It was very REAL!









1 comment:

Angie said...

we watched it on TV. wish we could have made it. I agree that Christian values are playing a VERY big role in this election--so much so--that I believe that is is not so much about republicans vs. democrats as it is those who love the Lord and those who despise Him. Quite a spiritual "civil war" going on--wonder how it will divide the country next Tuesday???By the way, sanctity of life is not just about the unborn and handicapped--it is also about the elderly and valuing them until their last day and considering their wisdom a gift, not considering them a burden on society. I'll stop preaching--sorry, but it isn't a racial issue--it's a LIFE or death issue.