Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Thanksgiving Day was a busy but fun one. It started early with Frank and I getting up early for Frank to start the Turkey to take to Tiffany's that night. He brined two turkeys, one for us and one for the Conrad get-together. I got to sample ours on Wednesday and it was delicious. His plan was to cook the turkey until 10:30, then turn it down for us to leave to go to mama's. We made it to mama's (on time!) Mama had a delicious turkey, the best mashed potatoes ever (mine and Amanda's favorite), yummy green beans, and corn. Angie made the stuffing which was perfect and I made the sweet potato casserole, which I can stand to taste, but everyone said was good. Thank you Mama and Angie for making such delicious food.

My favorite part of the meal was the strawberries and coconut pound cake! It was my request to have Daddy make me the cake for my birthday. I'm not much of a pumpkin pie eater so this year I wanted to have something really yummy - Daddy's cake did not disappoint, it was the best birthday pound cake ever! Thanks, Daddy!

Frank left after we ate to get back and finish the Conrad Turkey and I stayed on for a mini photo shoot with Angie's family and all the grandkids with Mom and Dad. I love the results. I would love to have had longer to take them but it was getting cold so I missed shots of Mom & Dad by themselves and a few more I had in mind, but the shots I did get were pretty good. I will post them here soon.

We got home just in time to jump in the car and head to Deep Gap. Tiffany's "just the immediate family" Thanksgiving had gone from 7 to 17 since the original plans were made. She and Frank carved the turkeys (got a great picture of this, too) and then once the sides were all warm ... WE ATE AGAIN! Whew talk about a lot of food in one day! I didn't plan to eat a lot but it's really hard to pass up Helen's sausage dressing which is out of this world good! Thank you, Helen for the dressing and thank you, Tiffany, for hosting!

Because Frank had to work early on Friday, he and I left but the kids hung around to play "Scene It."

After the girls got home, we mapped out our strategy for Black Friday, made our want lists out and try to catch a few winks before the alarm went off at 4 am.

We left the house at 4:30 and arrived in time to catch some sweet deals at Walmart. From there we headed to KMart where, believe it or not, we spent the most. Of course, that's where we found the Joe Boxer pajamas on sale BOGOF! We bought black and red and white 3 piece sets for everyone who wakes up here on Christmas Eve morning. This year everyone will have the option of shorts or pants!

From Walmart, we headed to JC Penney where we found some cute pjs for Xyla & Harmony. Next stop, Staples for a new mouse. My mouse was drowned last week in Mountain Dew and even after a thorough cleansing refused to give up the stickies. So I bought myself a new one! A trip to Sam's for a gift from Billy to Amy was futile so we bought a take and bake pizza and made for the house.

I have to say traffic was not bad at all and I have decided that it's great that most all the stores are in Asheville or Arden and that makes just going to Hendo a lot more fun!

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and took the time to say, "Thanks!"

No comments: