Sunday, April 17, 2011

93-99/265 Days of Photos

99/365 ~ Yogi Bear for President!

Today we went to the National Mall and found everyone preparing for the National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade. Yogi was poised to take over the Capitol ... maybe he'll run for President in 2012. He's got my vote!

103/365 ~ "I touch the future. I teach." - Christa McAuliffe

And so does my daughter, Amanda. Today she was rewarded for her hard work in studying to be a teacher. She received two scholarships which will come in handy when she starts her final year in August. Her dad and I are both very proud of all of our kids and we are happy that one of them has finally decided to do what we both thought we wanted to do ... teach! Congrats, Amanda. Keep up the good work!

97/365 ~ Sugar

I said sugar and they said sugar ... I meant kisses and they meant candy ... we have a win-win relationship :)

96/365 ~ Homemade Green Medicine anyone?

Just wondering who all at there recognizes this run down doorway as the entrance to what used be a haven for the sick and weary? It's Ole Doc Norton's place of course. Did you know that the green medicine he gave us all is now patented and sold commercially? It's called Donatal and it's now purple and tastes better from what I've been told.

95/365 ~ Wow, You Should Really Do Something About That Slice!

When the golf ball is slicing to the right, that means it's curving in a left-right motion across the sky. For the ball to do this, it must be spinning in a clockwise direction. A tornado, or twister, is a violent, dangerous, rotating column of air that is in contact with both the surface of the earth and a cumulonimbus cloud or, in rare cases, the base of a cumulus cloud. One of these wicked rotations obviously hit the Etowah Valley Golf Course overnight, leaving in its wake a path of twisted and uprooted trees.

EVCC holds a dear place in my heart. It was one of the first jobs I took after the kids started to school and Hayes and Rick and Frank and John have remained some of my closest buddies. I love them and I love being on this course. It's where I got caught in a lightening storm and got absolutely drenched. It's also where I left a permanent scar on my bosses' forehead while he tried to teach me how to chip. It's just one of those places I always go back to when I need an old friend (kind of like my Charleston in the mountains.) Needless to say, I had a few tears today while snapping these photos.

94/365 ~ Breakfast for Dinner

I love having breakfast for dinner; especially when it means having some of these delicious rich egg yolk green and brown eggs! The eggs are the product of Araucana chickens raised in Tennessee. Toby at Mattress Outlet told me about them and we had the farmer bring us ten dozen to split. They are delicious. Below is a little bit more about these cool blue, green and brown egg laying chickens:

The Araucana, also known in the USA as a South American Rumpless,[1] is a breed of chicken originating in Chile. The Araucana is often confused with other fowl, especially the Ameraucana and Easter Egger chickens, but has several unusual characteristics which distinguish it. They lay blue eggs, have feather tufts near their ears, and a tail. To comply with the north American standard they must have no tail and are rumpless.

The ancestors of the modern Araucana chicken were purportedly first bred by the Araucanian Indians of Chile — hence the name "Araucana." The Araucana is a hybrid of two South American breeds: the Collonca (a naturally blue-egg laying, rumpless, clean-faced chicken) and the Quetro (a pinkish-brown egg layer that is tailed and has ear-tufts). The Collonca male and female are very similar, with very few secondary sexual characteristics like comb, wattles or tail coverts to distinguish them.

93/365 ~ Cataloochee Elk

Amongst all the beauty I saw today with my three photo shoots was this huge elk. It was my first trip to Cataloochee and I was so excited to see how close these elk are. They just walk right up to you.

The experimental release of elk into Great Smoky Mountains National Park began in February, 2001 with the importation of 25 elk from the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area along the Tennessee-Kentucky border. In 2002, the park imported another 27 animals. All elk were radio collared and were monitored during the eight-year experimental phase of the project. In 2009-2010, the park began developing an environmental assessment of the program and a long-term management plan for elk. Project partners include the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Parks Canada, Great Smoky Mountains Natural History Association, Friends of the Smokies, the U.S.G.S. Biological Resources Division, and the University of Tennessee.

No comments: