Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Blast from the Past



I call these, "Childhood Torture Devices." My sister, cousins, and I grew up in these things! I HATED them. They rubbed on my chin and chapped my skin, they were tight and simply the most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn! But, hey, they were life jackets and they were required accessories for kids like us whose parents were addicted to boat fishing. Many days ... and nights were spent wearing these things. My Uncle G.L. even has movie reels of me getting my bottom popped most likely for back-talking my daddy about not wanting to wear mine.

This morning I went to the Multi-Family Garage Sale being held by Kimberly-Clark as a fund-raiser for United Way. The lady who graciously sold me two brand new motorcycle helmets for $8 (what a steal!) had these under her table. I said, "Would you mind if I took a picture of your Childhood Torture Devices?" She shockingly looked at me and said, "WHAT?" I laughed and told her I was referring to the life jackets and I think she got the joke because she said, "Yea, my kids hated them, too!"

Oh well, as painful as they were to wear, at least the memories of the days when they were worn are extremely wonderful ... and they make me miss my cousins a lot!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I think these "torture devices" contributed to our feeling like sardines lined up in the floor of the boat--supposedly trying to sleep while they fished!!! What memories!!