Friday, October 24, 2008

Woo-Hoo I get to go to Palin Rally

I am so excited I can't believe I actually got tickets to go see Sarah Palin on Sunday. (By the Way, I have 3 extra if anyone wants to go with me.) It is going to be a lot of standing in line from what I gather, but I think it will be worth it, especially if I can get a picture.

So I have something to ask all of you and I will ask that everyone who reads this, please comment and tell me what you would have done. You can email me if you want, but I really want to know what you would have done in this situation:

Tonight around 9:45 I was getting ready to turn from Asheville Hwy on to Hillgirt when I saw a man stumble into the highway and fall down. Another car swerved to miss him and kept going, but I turned onto Hillgirt, stopped and ran up to him. As I was getting up the hill he got up and staggered towards me before falling again towards the curb and the grass. I told him to sit and he was a very drunk mexican man about 30 maybe. He couldn't stand up and I called 911 and told them to hurry because I wasn't sure I could keep him from getting up and walking into traffic again. It was pouring rain and cold and I turned on my hazard lights and waited. I called Frank and he told me I was stupid that he could pull a knife on me and kill me, which to be honest it had occured that he might attack me but I wasn't thinking with a weapon and after only a few minutes I could see he couldn't stand up long enough to get to me. I kept a good 10 to 12 feet between me and him and kept my car door open so I could get in if I needed to. It took about 15 minutes for the Sheriff's Deputy to get there. I just kept Frank on the phone and kept talking to the guy. Frank made me describe him, I guess in case something happened to me. The guy would lay down and then sit back up and tell me he just lived down the road. When I asked his name he said he didn't know and he wouldn't tell me. One time when he sit up, he said "You're killing me. What happened?" And I said, "You were laying in the middle of the road and I am just staying here 'til your friend gets here to pick you up (which he had told me was going to happen)." Anyway, I just felt God was protecting me and the right thing to do was keep this man from getting run over. I remember hearing about the man who got run over a couple of times in Asheville and I just couldn't have lived with myself if I had found out this man got run over or killed. My question to you all, without judgment for how you answer - Would you have done the same thing or would you have done what Frank said I should do and get away from him in case he was dangerous? Just curious. I know I can be pretty naive sometimes. But I was near tears when the officer (Allen Corthell, a guy I went to high school with) showed up. I was so worried for this man and not really worried about me. You may not be able to answer and it may just be something you would have had to have been in my shoes to understand, but I am just curious what you THINK you would have done.

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart,
I am proud of you and I am not sure that I would have done all that you did but I would have protected him bt blocking traffic aroud him til the law could get there. In my younger years I woud probably have done as you did.
I don't know this location so that would have to be a consideration about getting out of the car.
I am proud that you care about strangers but do be alert !!

I am so glad you are going to see Sara Palin and I would love to but I just cannot handle that kind of crowds. Maybe Amanda will go!?!

Let me know how it goes.
Love you
MOM

Angie said...

I think it runs in your blood to protect people--remember when Daddy sat with those teenage girls FOREVER when we were headed home from Canton that time--he waited until their daddy go there to care for them?? Daddy did that kind of stuff over and over and over!! Better times and more trustworthy people back them. Not sure I would have been as brave, but definitely would have called for help.

By the way, where is Palin going to be???? Sounds exciting!