Sunday, January 13, 2008

Saying Thank You



Tamara sent me this video and I think it is one of the nicest ideas to come along in a while. I followed the links at the end of the website to learn a bit more about the gesture. The guy who started the whole thing, Scott Truitt of Seattle, was an army brat as a child and always felt the need to connect with the military when he saw them passing by. The trouble was that it sometimes made them uncomfortable for him to just come up and start talking to them. He decided to start this national campaign to give everyone a way to show their gratitude without making anyone uncomfortable. Two news stations in Seattle aired stories about the campaign and the Seattle Seahawks played it on their jumbo-tron at a recent home game. He has also posted it on you tube.

The gesture starts with your hand over your heart like you were going to say the "Pledge of Allegiance" and then you bring it down opening it up at hip level. It actually means, 'Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

I would like to offer a "virtual" gesture here - (you can't see me doing it, but I promise I am) to the servicemen who've made a difference in my life ~ Thank you, Daddy (Navy, 1960's); Thank you, Art (Air Force, 1960's); Thank you, Pop Quinlan (Army, 1940's); and Thank you, Nathan Brookshire (Army, Today).

I hope you will pass this on ... Seattle gave us Starbucks, too. If this catches on as well as their coffee did ... well, you can only imagine!

No comments: